Uni holidays have arrived and what better way to melt away the stress from the semester than with a tropical getaway to Bali. It’s my second time to the island and this time I’m traveling with my mum, Helen.
The adventure begins in Canggu. We were drawn to the area for it’s laid-back vibe, plant-based cafes and popular surf beaches. Unfortunately, with a recently sprained ankle, surfing was not an option so most of our energy was spent cafe-hopping.
If you are traveling to Bali and have the pleasure of visiting Canggu, here are my recommendations for cafes and restaurants to visit. I always love reading this type of blog in the lead up to a holiday. I’m not affiliated with any of these places, I just want to share my experiences.
This is one of those vegan cafes where you need to visit several times and order far too much food just so you can try everything.
- Tricken schnitzel burger – If I didn’t know any better, I would have been fooled it was real meat. I used to be a big fan of schnitzel so I loved this burger.
- Chocolate brownie – Just get one and thank me later.
- Moringa shots – Moringa is an incredibly healing plant rich in vitamin A, vitamin C, calcium and protein. The health-nerd in me had to try one.
- Iced lattes – Both the soy and almond milks were delish.
Address: Jl. Pantai Berawa No. 46
This cafe is gorgeous and the Canggu location was only a short walk from our villa so we stopped by several times for coffee and breakfast. Their menu is all vegetarian and organic. The highlights:
- Acai Coco smoothie bowl – The smoothie itself is a stunning pink colour and tastes like the banana/berry ice-cream I make at home. It’s served in a coconut and decorated with fresh fruit, muesli, nuts, seeds and coconut.
- Coffee – Delish! They have Bonsoy and almond milk. Plus the tiny biscuit that comes with it is heavenly.
Address: Jl. Batu Bolong No. 58
The Shady Shack
I suggest sitting on the couches on the front porch overlooking the rice paddies, grabbing an iced latte and watching the world go by. We came back to The Shady Shack several times because the food is delicious. Our favourites here:
- Lost in paradise smoothie bowl – So refreshing on a warm morning.
- Banana oats – I could eat these for breakfast every single day.
- Snixers – A perfect chocolate hit.
Address: Jl. Tanah Barak No. 53
La Laguna is the most beautiful place we visited in Canggu. We didn’t have a meal here so I can’t recommend any to you. Instead, I suggest you treat yourself to a cocktail and watch the sunset. Many of the tables are reserved for sunset so arrive early to find a good spot.
Address: Jl.Pantai Kayu Putih (you can also access from the beach)
Plenty of healthy food on the menu. Sit upstairs and enjoy the cool breeze while you eat.
- ‘Bright Eyes’ Scrambled tofu wrap – Delicious.
- Sumatran coffee – Smooth and creamy. Although the soy milk is very sweet.
- Yellow curry with red rice – A beautiful colour and flavour.
Address: Jl. Batu Bolong No. 60
A Thai fusion restaurant with a completely plant-based menu. They also deliver so check them out even if you aren’t nearby.
- Fresh vegetable spring rolls – They go well with a satay sauce.
- Pad Thai – Delicious with a squeeze of lime over the top.
- Yellow tofu curry – Beautiful and creamy.
Address: Jl. Subak Sari No. 84
Go for their all day breakfast. Minimal style furnishing complete with metal graters used as light shades.
- Green Brekkie – Quinoa, greens and avo. The best combo.
- Mr Bean – If you love baked beans then you’ll love this.
- Coffee – They have their own blend of coffee, which had a nice flavour. This is another one with sweet soy milk though.
Address: Jl. Pantai Batu Bolong No. 64
I want to hear from you
Comment below: Have you been to Canggu? I’d love to know where your favourite places are.